This is a work in progress:
This is the revealing or unveiling (or 2nd coming) of Yeshua thee Messiah.
The first “revelation” is that each Greek letter is also a number and “Jesus” in the original Greek has a value of 888 (this is an ancient practice known as gematria). The book of thee Revelation contains precisely 888 words in the original Greek. It is of interest as a side note that I have read there are 888 words in the original Hebrew in Leviticus chapters 8-10 which describe the duties of the high priest, which of course is Jesus.
I am not here trying to add any words to the book of the Revelation, as the book itself condemns such activity but rather to provide eyes to see and ears to hear for those who read it so we may keep the things written in it and be blessed by it, for the time is at hand!
Let us begin with verse 8 chapter 1: I am the alpha and omega. These are the first and last letters in the Greek alphabet, Jesus would have actually spoken these first and last letters in Hebrew and would have said I am the “Aleph” and the “Tav”. The “Aleph” and the “Tav” together are the Hebrew word transliterated as “et” that grammatically marks the direct object. Historically some Rabbis have said that every time “et” appears in scripture it has a secret or hidden meaning and messianics see it as a reference to Jesus in his pre-incarnate state. For example: it was the “aleph tav” blood put on the door posts during the exodus from Egypt, also the first words God spoke in Genesis 1:3 “Let there be Light” is in Hebrew “Aleph tav Ore” (Ore meaning Light) this little phrase “et Ore” has a value in Gematria of 613 exactly how many commandments the Jews say are in the Torah (the 5 books of Moses) and Jesus the “Word” of God is the living Torah, the “Light” of the world!
Let us look at:
Revelation 1:10 I was in the spirit on the Lord’s day,
The Lord’s day is not Sunday by any stretch of the imagination, this is “The Day of the LORD” as spoken of in:
- Isaiah 2:12 For the day of the Lord (hmera Kuriou) of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:
- Isaiah 13: “Howl ye: for the day of the Lord (hmera Kuriou) is at hand: it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.”
- Isaiah 13:9 “Behold, the day of the Lord (hmera Kuriou) cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
- Isaiah 34:8 “For it is the day of the Lord’s vengeance, (hmera gar krisews Kuriou) and year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion.”
- Ezekiel 30:3 “for the day is near, even the day of the Lord (hmera tou Kuriou) is near, a cloudy day: it shall be the time of the heathen.
- Joel 1:15 “Alas for the day! for the day of the Lord (h hmera Kuriou) is at had, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.
- Joel 2:1 “Blow ye the trumpet in Zion and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the Lord (hmera Kuriou) cometh, for it is nigh at hand;
- Joel 2: 11 “And the Lord shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the Lord (h hmera Kuriou) is great and very terrible: and who can abide it?
- Joel 2:31 “The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the Lord (thn hmeran Kuriou thn megalhn) come.”
- Joel 3:14 “Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the Lord (hmera Kuriou) is near in the valley of decision.”
- Amos 5:18 “Woe unto you that desire the day of the Lord! (thn hmeran Kuriou) to what end is it for your? the day of the Lord (h hmera tou Kuriou) is darkness and not light.”
- Amos 5:20 “Shall not the day of the Lord (h hmera tou Kuriou) be darkness, and not light? even every dark, and no brightness in it?
- Obadiah 15 “For the day of the Lord (hmera Kuriou) is near upon all the heathen: as thou has done it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.”
- Zephaniah 1:7 Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord God: for the day of the Lord (hmera tou Kuriou) is at hand: for the Lord hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests.”
- Zephaniah 1:14 “The great day of the Lord (hmera Kuriou H megalh): is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the Lord (hmeras Kuriou)the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
- Zephaniah 1:18 “Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the Lord’s wrath (hmera orghs Kuriou); but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.”
- Zephahiah 2:2-3 Before the decree bring forth before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the Lord come upon you, before the day of the Lord’s anger (hmeran qumou Kuriou) come upon you. V. 3 Seek ye the Lord all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment: seek righteousness, seek meekness: it my be ye shall be hid in the day of the Lord’s anger (hmera orghs Kuriou).”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:2 “For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord (hmera kuriou) so cometh as a thief in the night.”
- 2 Thessalonians 2:2 “That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ (h hmera tou kuriou) is at hand.”
- 2 Peter 3:10 “But the day of the Lord (hmera kuriou) will come as a thief in the night: in the which heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.”
John In Revelation used other terminology for the Last Day.
- Revelation 6:17 “The great day of their wrath.”
- Revelation 16:1 “. . . that great day of God Almighty.”
This certainly is not a complete list as this list does not include other references to the same day such as: Jer 30:7 “The time of Jacob’s trouble”, Isa 28:21 “Yehovah’s strange work” and ”Yehovah’s strange act”, Deut 32:35 and Oba 12-14 ”The day of Israel’s calamity”, Deut 4:30 “The tribulation”, Isa 26:20 and Dan 11:36 “The indignation”, Isa 28:15, 18 “The overflowing scourge”. Or in the new testament Paul calls it the “day of Christ or Lord Jesus” as in 1Cor 1:8, 2Cor 1:14, Phil 1:6,10 and 2:16.
We then get to know that this “day of the LORD” is a one year period of time as in these three examples from Isaiah: Isaiah 34:8 “The day of the LORD’s vengeance and the year of recompences”, Isaiah 61:2 “The acceptable year of the LORD and the day of vengeance of our God” and Isaiah 63:4 “For the day of vengeance is in mine heart and the year of my redeemed is come”.
Let us now return to Rev 1:10 as it continues after the LORD’s day: “and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet“. This little statement mentioning the “trumpet” lets us know this “day“, this “year“, begins on the feast of trumpets, just as the Jews call this day “head of the year” (Rosh Hashanna means “head of the year”), so it shall be the head of God’s year/day of the LORD. We also see in Revelation 4:1 “a door standing open in heaven”, this is an indication to those who understand the feast days of the LORD that this is happening on the feast of trumpets as one of the names or idioms for the feast of trumpets is “the day the gates of heaven are open”.
This is where we look at types and patterns to confirm what was just said that the day/year of the LORD does in fact begin on Tishri 1, the feast of trumpets/Rosh Hashanna.
Jewish history tells us the feast of trumpets is counted as the new year for Kings meaning the reign of a king is counted as beginning from this day, it is the day a sabbatical year starts, it is the beginning of the 10 days of awe, it is the day the “books” (like the book of life etc.) are opened and the courts of heaven sit (as in Job 1:6 and onwards and in Daniel 7:26 “And the court shall sit”). According to legend/tradition the feast of trumpets is the very day Adam was created and opened his eyes and said “The LORD is King forever and ever”, by this ”type” we can see the feast of trumpets shall be the day when the kingdom of God begins. Gen 8:13 implies the feast of trumpets was Noah’s birthday and Jewish sages tell us that the feast of trumpets was Abraham and Jacob’s birth date. It is the day Pharaoh’s cup bearer and butler had their dreams, then exactly 2 years later Joseph is released from prison on the feast of trumpets and made Viceroy of Egypt (another type of Christ beginning his reign on the feast of trumpets), so with this information we can see Rosh Hashanna (the feast of trumpets) is the very day the 7 years of famine and the 7 years of plenty begin and they were two 7 year Sabbath cycles. The 70 weeks prophecy of Daniel 9 is 70 sevens of weeks or simply 70 Sabbath cycles of 7 years. This pattern of Sabbath cycles is being followed leading up to the return of Jesus and it is plain to see that the year of the LORD will be a Sabbath year (followed by a Jubilee year).
The Jews see time as circular with similar events happening on the same day of the year years apart, like our typical western saying “history repeats itself” except on the same days just as God interacts with man on his appointed times, his feast days, which the Jews “rehearse” every year as a shadow of good things to come, as a rehearsal of God’s very plan of redemption, the Jews calendar is there catechism.
As we see with Joseph’s 7 yrs of plenty and 7 yrs of famine and again in Dan 9:24 with the 70 weeks of years prophecy and with 7 days in a week, 7 weeks to Pentecost, 7 holy months in a year, 7 yrs to the sabbatical year, and 7- 7′s of years to the Jubilee we can easily see by type and pattern that the 1st seal of Revelation chapter 6 is opened at the head of the year on the feast of trumpets, as is each consecutive seal giving us the fact that 7 seals are 7 years which equals 1 sabbatical cycle. The 7th seal will be the Sabbath year containing the 7 trumpets blown at the head of each month (“Rosh chodesh”- rosh means head, chodesh means month or moon) as per Num 10:10 and Psalms 81:3, but I am getting ahead of myself here.
Back to following the Revelation as our “script”, let us talk briefly about the 7 churches. There are lot’s of pattern’s of seven’s in this section, but I mostly just want to state the overview here, that the 7 churches represent 7 church ages: Ephesus the apostolic church, Smyrna the persecuted church, Thyatira the married to the world church, Sardis the medieval church, Sardis the denominational church, Philadelphia the missionary church, Sardis the denominational church, Laodicea the apostate church. If these letters were in any other order this description down through the ages would not fit. Of course the things spoken to each of the churches should be reflected upon by each of us personally, like “first love”, I remember when I first came to an understanding of Christ’s work in my life and how energized, hyper, exuberant and wanting to please and serve I was, it was a rush a feeling, an in-spirit-ation, I lost it for a time, but now I live on it and have much more knowledge and understanding, it’s not quite the same as my first love or when I 1st believed but I remember and strive to be in that love, it is now more “perfect” meaning mature. This Nicolaitans thing was a tough one to find out about but there are some historic references to do with the apostle John which give me the understanding that we should have one head and that is Christ, not the cardinals and bishops and pope in Rome. Nicolaitan has a meaning of “victor of the people” or to Lord it over you, like looking down on others or I’m better than you or prejudices, in contraire to we are all equal, or love you neighbor as yourself, or even better- seek not your own good but the good of others. Satan’s seat or throne was and is a reference to Zeus’s throne the alter of Pergamus which was excavated and moved to the pergamon museum in berlin, Hitler “preached his anti-Semitism” from the Tribune at Zeppelin Field in Nuremberg he had constructed for his Nazi rallies. This seat of Satan is in Russia since the end of WW2, many believe this to be where Gog of Magog will come from. Antipas the martyr was according to tradition ordained bishop of Pergamon by the apostle John, in 92 AD he was burned in a brazen bull shaped alter used to cast out demons. This Balaam/Balac thing with eating things sacrificed to idols and fornication is also stated to Thyatira because of Jezebel, this comes from the council at Jerusalem in Acts 15:20 abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.